About The School  

A School Rich in History

Lakeview is a community and school rich in history and tradition.  About the time of WWI, the Lakeview community was opened for settlement by the Chattanooga Land Company.  As the community grew, so did the school system.  Prior to 1915, students received an education at home or in the upstairs of the Old Chambers Homeplace.  Miss Nell Chambers was the teacher. By the fall of 1915, a community school for grades 1-7 was scheduled to open but was not completed until 1916. Members of the community helped purchase books. In the 1920s Lakeview got a new building on Oak Street and their first bell (a cow bell was used prior to this). In 1928, the school got its first cafeteria (ladies, led by Mrs. S. E. Dickert, in the community brought sandwiches through the woods to students before this).  Two sports were offered, baseball and basketball, and both were held outside.  Later, Lake Winnie and area churches would let Lakeview play basketball indoors in their facilities, yet another example of the community pitching in to help.  A member of the first senior class to graduate from the new building ( in 1935), Mr. S. O. Addison, tells that the members of this class chose the school colors of red and white, wrote the alma mater, and picked the name "Warriors."  In 1933, the 6th Calvary donated football equipment and we got our first football team and school newspaper.  By 1951 Lakeview Junior High and High were moved to Cross Street and in  1973, the high school was moved to 2A where the Lakeview and Ft. Oglethorpe communities merged.  The community pitched in to raise fund for the athletic fields and students and parents helped do the work.  Today, students and the community are still working together to improve our school and community.  From our humble beginnings in 1915 to the present, LFO has always been a family.